Below the floating roof forms is the Link structure in steel and glass that accommodates the foyer, temporary exhibition and circulation areas. This structure is joined to the adjacent workshop buildings via a series of metal tube-like forms that create extended threshold transition zones into the differing exhibition volumes. Interconnected in this way are the Blacksmith’s and Wheel Shop (1880), the Locomotive Boiler Shop (1887), and the New Erecting Shop (1920).
The Link is a fully glazed volume protected by the lightweight cloud-like canopy structure that floats between the existing buildings. The glazed façades are offset from the existing heritage walls, enabling the walls to be both protected and revealed to view.
A new entry and courtyard with a gently raised lawn create an ingress from the adjacent station and contribute to the bridging of the railway that has long divided and separated the city from its waterfront.
fjmtstudio acknowledges all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, the Traditional Custodians of the lands on which we work.
We recognise their continuing connection to Country and pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging.
We extend this acknowledgement to Indigenous People globally, recognising their human
rights and freedoms as articulated in the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.